Now the main point of what is being said is this: We have this kind of high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a minister …Hebrews 8:1-2a
The important thing for us to take away this morning, is not that we have a high priest, not that the High Priest is Jesus, not that He is indestructible, not that He is even beside the Majesty in heaven. The important thing we must see is that He is THIS KIND OF HIGH PRIEST – a MINISTER!
How you see Jesus Christ will determine your success as a disciple, as a Christian and as a Kingdom subject. If we can view Him as He is for us, then we will see that He places us (in all our humanity) in the very presence of the Majesty!
The Minister of the Sanctuary
Minister (liturgy) = Service to God and to Man
We Need to grip into our hearts “What is that Service?” and fully see “What is His Ministry?”
Sanctuary = True Tabernacle
- Sanctuary is “hagion” meaning “holy place”.
- It could refer to the Holy of Holies, but in this context, it has a bigger place in view-because we see the throne of the “Majesty of the heavens”
Holy Place = True Dwelling of God
- Jesus is the minister of the true dwelling
- His ministry involves providing for the majesty
- His ministry involves providing for man
- He alone provides what God’s Holiness required.
- He alone provides what man requires.
He alone increases the “Majesty of the Heavens” by bringing increase to man.
Jesus is at the throne of the Majesty, serving as a minister to God and to Man. As a minister, He is providing something that is life changing. His ministry magnifies the Majesty by providing for you and me. If the Holy Spirit brings this truth into your heart, it will literally stop it in awe. This goes far beyond what we normally see.
- Do not get caught up in the shadow.
- Do not limit your faith to the physical.
- Do not fall in love with the building,
- You will miss the Majesty!
Verse 9: For they did not continue in my covenant, and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord. (KJV –regarded them not).
They were given a covenant, a means of living with the Majesty and Power of God, yet they chose not to continue in it. So God showed no concern for them.
The important thing we need to take away is what Jesus is doing as MINISTER and how understanding that will change the way you live your life! Chapter 8 has an impact that will change the way you view Christianity.
This morning, the Holy Spirit wants to show you something that will bring vitality and power to your life, as well as open your eyes to the Majesty, and will reveal to your heart how you can always know He regards your life with concern!
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. Hebrews 8:6
More excellent: to be superior, better (Heb. 1:4; 8:6).
What was the result of the ministry of the earthly High Priests?
The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, Thus you shall bless the people of Israel: you shall say to them, The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. “So shall they put my name upon the people of Israel, and I will bless them.” Numbers 6:22-27
Result: They shall put my name upon them and the people would be BLESSED!
- The Old Covenant administered by the Priests resulted in what?-God’s Blessing!
What was the problem with this?
- You could lose God’s Blessing
- God’s blessing was conditioned upon your obedience.
- God’s concern and care was conditioned upon my continuing to be in right standing with the Priests.
- People started elevating the Priests and the Place of Worship
How do we know this?
- More concerned about where to worship rather than who (this was what the woman at the well brought up to Jesus)
- More concerned about beauty of building than the beauty of the one you worship (The Pharisees screamed blasphemy when Jesus said he would build the temple again after three days. They thought He was referring to their beautiful Temple)
- Allow the Priest to do whatever he wants, even if it corrupted the worship (This is mentioned in Malachi)
What did the Old Law and High Priest fail to provide the People?
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. Hebrews 8:10-11
Two Betters – the Basis of his “more excellent” Ministry.
A. Better Covenant
Read Genesis 15 - With Abraham, God guaranteed His Word with His Strength and His Promise, that He would be torn asunder just like the animal sacrifice if He failed to perform. Jesus proved His power by allowing Himself to be torn asunder to satisfy the Holy demands of His Father, therefore proving to us there was nothing left to be done. The promise would stand for all eternity, for Jesus had already been torn asunder.
- The basis of a Covenant is the ability to deliver! Christ’s Covenant is not subject to ‘Act of Terrorism’ or ‘Act of Nature’ clauses.
B. Better Promises
Basis of a promise-strength, ability, what that promise cost, trust in the ability to deliver!
1. Is your Faith in Christ resting in His Better Promises?
- The Promise of the Holy Spirit
And look, I am sending you what My Father promised. As for you, stay in the city until you are empowered from on high.” Luke 24:49
- Promised in the Old Testament
until the Spirit from heaven is poured out on us. Then the desert will become an orchard, and the orchard will seem like a forest. Then justice will inhabit the wilderness, and righteousness will dwell in the orchard. The result of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quiet confidence forever. Isaiah 32:15-17
- The Holy Spirit will teach you all things
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit—the Father will send Him in My name—will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you. John 14:26
- He is our Seal
When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him, you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13
2. Are You In Constant Connection with our Minister?
He is constantly calling and encouraging, but you must see Him by faith! You must answer His call by faith! Do not make excuses, for you have a NEW HEART! If you fail to respond to His calling, then perhaps you do not, and your Christian Life is fake, devoid of His ministry!
The Result – HIS SURPASSING MINISTRY!
The True Meaning of His Better Ministry
- They will “Know me in themselves“
And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.
2. Provision for God
God’s Holiness was never compromised as He showed sinful men mercy and forgiveness, for the Better Ministry of Jesus Christ meant that the righteous demands of His holiness could be met and satisfied, thus allowing His Glory to be maintained even in mercy!
For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.” Hebrews 8:11-12
So What Does His Surpassing Ministry Mean for You?
As long as you abide in Christ, you are in the Presence of God even NOW! If you turn to yourself and rely on you flesh for righteousness, you are settling for your own glory, and missing out on the majesty! This is why we must apply the truth and message of Hebrews 8 to our lives, so that we may continue to abide in the power of the Blood!
1. The What
of Hebrews 8 is that we now have a Minister, a very powerful minister who has the power and ability to bring us into the presence of the Majesty through His better covenant and promises. (This is the Way of Jesus)
2. The So What
that will bring backbone to our Christian walk in the form of the Truth is that we are in the very Presence Of The Majesty in Jesus Christ! This is truth that defies our rational thought, our sighted walk. This is truth that only Faith can visualize and touch! (This is the Truth of Jesus that sets us Free)
- Through Christ and His ministry to us, God can shower us with care and concern, even when we sin!
3. The Now What
We now live with a clear vision of the Ministry of Jesus Christ, that He brings us into the presence of the Majesty even when we fail, even when we are diseased, even when we are down and distressed. The Majesty is where we live and breathe! In Jesus Christ! This is the Life of Jesus-that we have His Life regardless of our circumstances!
What do we count on when we are in the presence of the Majesty?
- Know that in His presence, He regards you and He is concerned for you. He cares for you! Just as He cares for His Son!
How do you actuate the Promise of the Holy Spirit in your life?
Be Diligent to experience Him no matter the Circumstance!
- Know Me in the majesty
- Know me in the tragedy
- Know me in the mediocrity
- Know me in your family
We must keep the windows of our Heavenly Minister clean, so that we may always see that we are living in the presence of the Majesty! We must focus on the Better Promises rather than the world, and we must focus on His body and blood as our righteousness!
Do not let this be the epithet of your Christian Life:
HE DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DID NOT CARE FOR HIM, SAYS THE LORD. Hebrews 8:9
 Spiros Zodhiates, The Complete Word Study Dictionary – New Testament, (Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers, 1993), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: “diaphoros”.